This is a great new (exclusively Cheating June) dish that can serve as a healthy, filling meal or in smaller portions as a great side dish.
- 2-3 Carrots
- 1 Zucchini Squash
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- 1 clove fresh pressed garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 servings Cooked Brown Rice (We used Success boil-in-bag)
*makes 2 meal servings or 4-6 side dish servings
- Preheat oven to 375
- Peel veggies with vegetable peeler.
- Cut vegetables into long ribbons with peeler and place in medium sized bowl.
- Coat all veggies with olive oil.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Cover cookie sheet with foil and spread veggies out evenly over it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place rice on plate and top with baked veggies.
*What you get from eating half of this recipe:
Calories: 245, Protein: 7 g, Fiber: 5 g, Fat: 8 g, Sat Fat: 1 g, Sugar: 5 g, Sodium: 46 mg
Carrots are a good source of Vitamin A which helps skin, eyesight, and immunity. It also includes significant amounts of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Calcium and Beta Caretenoids.
Yellow Squash and Zucchini are very high in Vitamin C and contain significant amounts of calcium, iron, and a variety of other vitamins and nutrients (like B6, A, Beta Caretein).
Brown Rice is great for us because it is a whole grain. Because it is less processed than white rice, it retains more nutrients like manganese, magnesium, and zinc, contains more fiber, and also contributes to iron intake.
Olive Oil contributes nearly all of the fat to this recipe, however, the fat it contributes is the healthy kind, monosaturated fatty acids. They help lower total and LDL cholesterol, helping to lower the risk of heart disease. Used in moderation, this kind of fat is good.