A sunny, springtime day a perfect match for this light, healthy meal. The soup recipe is originally from Real Simple, and the salad is one of my family’s long-time favorites.
Paired together with a side of whole wheat roles, this is one delicious meal that you can count on being a hit.
Here’s how we did it:
Carrot Ginger Soup:
Prep time- 5-10 min Cook time- 35-45 min Serves- 3-4
1 T. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/6 in. rounds
4 cups vegetable broth
1 T freshly grated ginger root
1 cup whipping cream
1 T. freshly chopped dill
1. Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and cook until soft (about 5-6 minutes)
3. Add carrots, broth, and ginger and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes (make sure carrots are tender)
4. Remove from heat for 10 minutes.
5. Blend mixture in blender in 2-3 batches.
6. Pour into pot and heat over medium-low heat until warm.
7. Top with a dollop of dill topping (below)
While carrots are cooking, prepare the soup topping. Pour whipping cream into a small bowl. Whisk with a wire whisk until small peaks form. Stir in dill.
Now may also be a good time to put the rolls in the oven and to mix the salad.
Spinach Strawberry Salad:
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
1 bag of spinach
1 carton strawberries, sliced
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Mix spinach, strawberries, and almonds together
2. Top with cheese
3. Serve with balsamic vinaigrette