In the middle of the night in a sleep deprived stupor, I stumbled upon a gem of a podcast called the History Chicks. The hosts Beckett Graham and Susan Vollenweider release podcasts twice a month featuring a woman in history and all the facts, rumors, and context of her life. They thoroughly present information in episodes that last about 40 minutes to an hour. Just like the history we all learned in primary school, we learn about time periods, significant events, and intriguing stories, but now, women are not only present in the conversation, they are in the spotlight. Craziness! Continue reading
Civil discourse is hard to come by these days, and it is never easy to make an unpopular topic seem friendly. There are many social and political stances that nearly everyone has made their mind up on, and approaching them with some sense of charm could be really important to getting your words heard. Here are some fun little idioms we can work into business talk that can help some audiences relate to you. Continue reading
Since we know how fun innocently tormenting others can be, let’s play a game that will drive everyone nuts. The key is that at least one person other than yourself has to know how the game works and one person has to be clueless to it all. Then hype up how fun it is so that everyone who doesn’t know the trick wants to play. Continue reading
So what that “Would You Rather” was all the rage in 5th grade when Delia*s catalog highlighted it? The game still holds up! If you want a fun car game, group ice-breaker, or pool side conversation, break out the old tried and true. Would You Rather simply asks its participants to choose between 2 equally awful or awesome choices and then justify their reasons. For instance, would you rather stand on the edge of the Empire State building on a windy day or the middle of the desert in the middle of a heat wave? Continue reading
Ever wonder where our seemingly nonsensical little colloquialisms, sayings or adages come from? Below is a list of I’m compiling and will continue to update as more come up. Enjoy! Continue reading
One of my college English teachers always had us “warm up” with writing drills before class. She’d write a prompt on the board and we’d spend a few minutes writing it in our journal. The other day I stumbled across one of those entries entitled “My Top 10 Favorite Things,” which I kinda got a kick out of. It was a list of my top 10 favorite things in the world, excluding people. Most of them still rang true. Continue reading
- Two nuns are riding in a car together one night when a fallen tree stops their progress. Out of the darkness a vampire comes at them, ready to attack. One of the nuns looks over at the other and says, “Quick Mary! Get out and show him your cross!” So Mary gets out of the car, folds her arms, scowls, and yells, “I’m very angry with you!”
- Have I told you my pizza joke? No I can’t… It’s too cheesy.
- So Brian and Anna are this married couple who live in a house across the pond from old Henry’s supermarket. Usually they take the long way around the pond to the store, but it was winter and the road was blocked with snow. Anna says to Brian, “Sweetheart, you stay warm in the house, I’ll go across the frozen pond to get us the ingredients for our soup. Can you give me some cash?” Brian says, “Oh no, don’t bother, just have Henry add it to our bill.” Anna is upset by this. She says, “Brian, why don’t you just give me money? Do you not trust me with it?” Brian immediately jumps in to calm her down, “Oh no, my dear, it’s not that at all. I just don’t know how thick the ice is.” Continue reading
- A bear walks into a bar and says, “I’ll have a rum and…” after a few seconds continues, “coke.” The bartender pours the drink and gives it to the bear. The bear comes back again and says, “This time I’ll have a gin and…” waits a few seconds before finishing, “tonic.” The bartender again complies. The bear comes back a third time and orders. “Can I have a vodka and…” he waited even longer this time, “cranberry?” The bartender responded, “Sure, but what’s with the big pause?” The bear looks down, shrugs his shoulders and says, “What these? I’ve had them all my life.”
What did the fish say when he hit the wall? “Dam!”
What did the bra say to the hat? “You go on a head. I’ll give these two a lift.” Continue reading
- A toast- to people who make toasts!
- Here’s to a long life and a merry one; A quick death and an easy one; A handsome guy and an honest one; A cold beer… and another one!
- Here’s to lying, cheating, stealing, and drinking! If you must lie, lie in eachothers arms; If you must cheat, cheat death; If you must steal, steal the heart of the one you love; And if you must drink, drink with me! Continue reading
- Two Truths and A Lie:
Here’s a game to play as an ice-breaker or a time-killer. One person says three facts about herself. Two are true, and one is a lie. The other person has to guess which is the truth. Afterwards the roles are switched. If you are in a group then one person states their facts and then whoever’s lie is guessed is out of the game until there is just one more left.
Here’s an example: Continue reading